Western Neighborhoods Project is dedicated to the history of San Francisco's Richmond, Sunset, OMI and West of Twin Peaks districts.   read more ...

Streetwise: Post-Earthquake Scenes in the Western Neighborhoods

by Frank Dunnigan
April 2025

Frank Dunnigan, WNP member and columnist. -
The aftermath of the 1906 earthquake in the western neighborhoods was less dramatic than in other parts of San Francisco because of fewer and more resilient buildings (more wood-frame structures and far less unreinforced masonry construction). Also, there was a great deal more open space, as well as the absence of any massive post-earthquake fires. Still, recovery took several years, while the damage remained clearly visible to one and all.

Hahnemann Hospital, California Street near Maple, 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
The new Hahnemann Hospital had just opened on California Street near Arguello the week prior to the April 18, 1906 earthquake. It was eventually rebuilt, and the site was acquired by Children’s Hospital in the 1920s, with Hahnemann constructing a newer facility nearby. In the 1970s, Children’s Hospital acquired that newer facility as well, before Children’s Hospital itself was taken over and renamed California Pacific Medical Center. The entire California Street site that was home to both hospitals is now under renovation as new housing.

Looking north on 3rd Avenue near Clement, April 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
Cooking in the street remained the norm for many months, as seen here on 3rd Avenue in the Richmond District, until chimneys could be inspected and declared safe for use.

Earthquake refugee children posing in Camp 5, near Children's Playground in Golden Gate Park, 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
Prior to the construction of refugee cottages, many people lived in army-issued tents, such as at this camp in Golden Gate Park, in the months immediately after the earthquake.

Odd Fellows Cemetery, 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
This toppled grave marker was part of the Odd Fellows Cemetery at Geary and Arguello. Unrepaired damage such as this, combined with laws restricting new burials and overall lack of maintenance in all the cemeteries, led to public support for cemetery closures and the mass grave removals that eventually took place in the late 1930s.

Children's Playground, Golden Gate Park, 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
The Sharon Building at Children’s Playground in Golden Gate Park suffered extensive damage, but was eventually rebuilt and is still in use today.

View west from 4th Avenue & Cornwall, circa 1907 - Helen Sjoberg Collection / Courtesy of Vicky Walker, Bernal History Project.
The community of Carzonia, utilizing old transit vehicles, sprang up in the Richmond District in 1906 as emergency housing units. It lasted until 1910, including this row at 4th Avenue and Cornwall Street, photographed in 1907. Read more about Carzonia.

Spreckels Temple of Music in Golden Gate Park, circa 1906 - Marilyn Blaisdell Collection / Courtesy of a Private Collector.
The Spreckels Temple of Music, also known as the Golden Gate Park Bandshell, was seriously damaged in the earthquake and was undergoing extensive repairs during the following year in this image.

Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park, 1906 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
East wall earthquake damage to the Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park is still clearly visible in this 1906 image, though repairs were made later. The building was eventually demolished in 1929 to make way for an expanded de Young Museum.

Sweeny Observatory in Golden Gate Park, circa 1910 - Marilyn Blaisdell Collection / Courtesy of a Private Collector.
Inner Sunset District resident Dr. Thomas Sweeny believed that nearby Golden Gate Park needed an observatory from which the public could view the surrounding neighborhoods so he donated one to the park’s commissioners in 1891. It was severely damaged in the earthquake, as shown here in 1910, and was never rebuilt, continuing to crumble and fade away slowly over the years. Park maintenance staff and gardeners sometimes used the stones for border walls in the park. Read and see more about the observatory on OpenSFHistory.

View northerly from Great Highway of Carville, January 1910 - Marilyn Blaisdell Collection / Courtesy of Molly Blaisdell.
Carville, which existed near Lincoln Way and Ocean Beach before the earthquake and fire, attracted additional residents after the disaster, and the bohemian community built of streetcars continued on for several years afterwards. A ceremonial burning of several cars in 1913 marked the beginning of the end of the settlement and it was mostly gone by the early 1920s, though some of the makeshift homes were eventually incorporated into permanent structures in the area. You can purchase Woody LaBounty’s book, Carville-by-the-Sea, in the WNP online shop.

Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!

 
More by Frank Dunnigan
Related Content
  • Podcast # 605: Meet Alex Spoto

    Nicole sits down with WNP's newest board member, Alex Spoto, to chat about dynamic approaches to history, his work at the Tenderloin Museum, and what makes the west side special. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jul 12, 2026)
  • Carzonia Apartments

    A whole neighborhood of streetcar homes existed in the inner Richmond after the 1906 earthquake. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • 1913 Article on Sunset Home Building

    News of a burgeoning construction activity in the sand dunes ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Podcast # 482R: San Francisco National Cemetery (Repodcast)

    Nicole and Arnold explore the long history of San Francisco National Cemetery in this classic episode of Outside Lands, which originally aired in 2022. Located in the Presidio, it is one of only two final resting places still active on the west side. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jun 28, 2026)
  • Podcast # 518R: Michael Durand (Repodcast)

    Nicole talks with the person who kept newspapers alive in the Outside Lands, Michael Durand, former owner and editor of the Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon, in this classic episode of Outside Lands San Francisco. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jun 14, 2026)
  • Polly Ann Ice Cream Parlor

    A Sunset District institution since 1955. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Podcast # 443: Santa Claus Association

    Unlike today's SantaCon, Mabel Hawkin's Santa Claus Association does not involve scores of drunken Kris Kringles. Instead, the Association was a charity group that distributed thousands of gifts to San Francisco's children. This week, Nicole and Michael provide the inspiring story behind this groundbreaking endeavor. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Dec 25, 2021)
  • Spanish Town: Street Names in Western SF

    The Alphabet of the Richmond and Sunset ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Surf Theatre

    From 1926 to 1985, a cultural beacon in the Sunset District on Irving Street near 46th Avenue. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Streetwise: Windmill Walk

    Designed to pump 40,000 gallons of water an hour for the park's irrigation needs, the Murphy Windmill was a gift from banker Samuel G. Murphy back in 1905. ( Jan 1, 2005)

Save SF History