Western Neighborhoods Project is dedicated to the history of San Francisco's Richmond, Sunset, OMI and West of Twin Peaks districts.   read more ...

Streetwise: October Happenings in the Western Neighborhoods

by Frank Dunnigan
October 2024

Frank Dunnigan, WNP member and columnist. -
October in the Bay Area is usually a time of warm, dry weather that residents and visitors thoroughly appreciate. It has also been a time for celebrating some local civic improvements, but October has also had more than its share of earthquakes (1865, 1868, 1989) and local maritime disasters at the entrance to the Golden Gate (1922, 1927, and 1936).

Camp Richmond, circa 1906.
1906—By the fall of 1906, clusters of “earthquake cottages” had begun to replace the earlier Army-issued fabric tents in advance of rainy winter weather. This is the scene at Camp Richmond, looking north, in the area of today’s Park Presidio Boulevard.

PPIE groundbreaking at Golden Gate Park Polo Fields, October 14, 1911 - Emiliano Echeverria/Randolph Brandt Collection / Courtesy of Emiliano Echeverria.
1911—The groundbreaking for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition by U.S. President William Howard Taft occurred at the fair’s originally-planned site near the Polo Field in Golden Gate Park. The fair’s location was later moved to the Marina District.

Sunset Tunnel Cake, 1928 - Photo by Horace Chaffee, SF Department of Public Works / Courtesy of a Private Collector.
1928—An elaborate cake in the image of the Duboce Avenue entrance celebrates the completion of the Sunset Tunnel on October 21, 1928.

Sunset Tunnel dedication, October 21, 1928 - Photo by Horace Chaffee, SF Department of Public Works / Courtesy of a Private Collector.
1928—Mayor “Sunny Jim” Rolph is at the controls of the first N-Judah streetcar to emerge from the Carl and Cole portal of the Sunset Tunnel at its dedication on October 21, 1928. This author’s family legend has it that his father and uncle were riding on the rear bumper of this first streetcar through the tunnel.

SS Ohioan Shipwreck at Point Lobos, October 1936 - Courtesy of a Private Collector.
The month of October has proven to be especially treacherous for ships in the area near the Cliff House during the years from 1922 to 1936 when the following disasters occurred:
1922—The tanker Lyman Stewart collided with another tanker on October 7, 1922 and was beached to avoid sinking, but was later declared a total loss. Learn more about the what became of the shipwreck.
1927—The lumber ship Coos Bay crashed into the rocks north of Lincoln Park on the foggy evening of October 27, 1927. Tidal action eventually broke up the vessel, but debris remained visible until at least 1930. Read and see more about the Coos Bay on OpenSFHistory.
1936—The S.S. Ohioan, a cargo ship, ran aground in the early morning hours of October 7, 1936 (shown here) near Seal Rock. Five months later, the ship caught fire, and in December of that year, a Pacific storm caused the hull to break in two, with sunken rusty steel beams still visible above the waves until at least 1939. Note the roof of Sutro Baths at far right of photo. Hear more about the Ohioan, and other shipwrecks, in our Shipwrecks of Ocean Beach podcast episode.

Emporium Department Store at Stonestown, circa 1952 - Photo by Martin Reinsch.
1952—Emporium-Stonestown, the company’s first store beyond Market Street, is shown here just prior to its October 15, 1952 grand opening. In the 1980s, the adjacent shops in the Stonestown Mall were demolished and rebuilt as the enclosed Stonestown Galleria. The Emporium chain closed in 1995 and Macy’s then occupied the anchor space, but that store closed in 2018 and was eventually replaced by a multiplex theater, grocery store, and additional new shops. Current plans envision a series of residential towers with underground parking on the asphalt lots in the foreground.

Excavations and Grading for Midtown Terrace, October 19, 1953 - San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.
1953—Excavations and grading for the new Midtown Terrace neighborhood are shown here on October 19, 1953.

Playland Demolition, October 1972 - Photo by Greg Gaar, Greg Gaar Street Photography 1970s-90s / Courtesy of Greg Gaar.
1972—Playland closed just after Labor Day in 1972 and demolition began quickly, with this scene captured on film the following month in October.

7th Avenue and Judah Street, April 1990 - Photo by Greg Gaar, Greg Gaar Street Photography 1970s-90s / Courtesy of Greg Gaar.
1989—The Loma Prieta earthquake (strongest since 1906) struck the Bay Area on a beautiful autumn day as the World Series was being played at Candlestick Park. Here, a damaged apartment building at 7th Avenue and Judah is being demolished the following spring. The tower of the Seventh Avenue Presbyterian Church can be seen in the distance.

View from Tank Hill of Oakland Hills Fire, October 20, 1991 - Photo by Greg Gaar / Courtesy of a Private Collector.
1991—The massive fire in the Oakland hills began on the weekend of October 19-20, 1991, drawing this crowd of spectators to Hawk Hill near Twin Peaks in San Francisco.

Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!

 
More by Frank Dunnigan
Related Content
  • Podcast # 605: Meet Alex Spoto

    Nicole sits down with WNP's newest board member, Alex Spoto, to chat about dynamic approaches to history, his work at the Tenderloin Museum, and what makes the west side special. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jul 12, 2026)
  • Carzonia Apartments

    A whole neighborhood of streetcar homes existed in the inner Richmond after the 1906 earthquake. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • 1913 Article on Sunset Home Building

    News of a burgeoning construction activity in the sand dunes ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Streetcars: The Boneyard

    The streetcar graveyard at 14th and Lincoln ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Podcast # 603: Short Stack No. 30

    Rebekah Kim and Peter Hartlaub are back in the host seat, sharing how they each found their way to WNP, taking a deep dive into the final days of Playland-at-the-Beach and going on some small theme park tangents, before the two take a look back at news headlines from 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago on the day of publication. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jun 21, 2026)
  • Podcast # 518R: Michael Durand (Repodcast)

    Nicole talks with the person who kept newspapers alive in the Outside Lands, Michael Durand, former owner and editor of the Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon, in this classic episode of Outside Lands San Francisco. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jun 14, 2026)
  • Podcast # 443: Santa Claus Association

    Unlike today's SantaCon, Mabel Hawkin's Santa Claus Association does not involve scores of drunken Kris Kringles. Instead, the Association was a charity group that distributed thousands of gifts to San Francisco's children. This week, Nicole and Michael provide the inspiring story behind this groundbreaking endeavor. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Dec 25, 2021)
  • Streetwise: Windmill Walk

    Designed to pump 40,000 gallons of water an hour for the park's irrigation needs, the Murphy Windmill was a gift from banker Samuel G. Murphy back in 1905. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Golden Gate Park Children's Playground

    Yes, there were grizzly bears in Golden Gate Park, near the Children's Playground. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Dutch Windmill

    Sometimes referred to as the "North Windmill", the first Golden Gate Park windmill stands 75 feet tall. ( Jan 1, 2006)

Save SF History