Become a Member
Become a Member
We depend on individual donations to survive. Please Donate any amount to help keep this non-profit effort going.
In 1898 the Army bivouacked thousands of soldiers on open land in the Inner Richmond District
SF West History Minute - Aug 31, 2010
On the Map
(click marker for larger map)
Contact us about this video.
Use this form for any comments, corrections, or thoughts you have on this particular image.
Spam Control: What color is the "donate" button at the top of the page? (the name of a fruit, 6 characters, lower case, starts with "o")
More History Minutes
Life Saving Station
Built in 1878, a building used by the Life Saving Service was moved in 1923 from Golden Gate Park to the Richmond District.
(SF West History Minute Nov 17, 2009)
Saved Shack in the Zoo
1906's temporary building finds a permanent home at the zoo.
(SF West History Minute May 14, 2009)
How did Speedway Meadow get its name? Ask the people at Jimmy's Old Car Picnic.
(SF West History Minute Dec 12, 2011)
The Missing Rails of 20th Avenue
once upon a time 20th Avenue was the main north-south route through the Sunset
(SF West History Minute Jan 20, 2010)
Patron Saint Against Earthquakes
The story of the Ingleside's St Emydius
(SF West History Minute May 20, 2009)
Mailboxes of Golden Gate Heights
Up on the hill, Henry Doelger built two versions of every house, and they're not all alike
(SF West History Minute Jan 17, 2013)
©2000 - 2021 Western Neighborhoods Project 1617 Balboa Street, San Francisco, CA 94121 - (415) 661-1000
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit (EIN: 94-3339377) dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of western San Francisco neighborhoods.