Re: The Emporium on Market Street

04/26/07 - posted by Judy G.

Yes, Thursday nights were open until 9 p.m. That is the night we would do our shopping after my mom got off work. In the early 1960's, We would take the 30 express downtown and go to dinner at Woolworths downstairs. For 99 cents, you got a hamburger, fries, and a coke. I got my very first job at the Emporium bargain basement when I was 16 years old (1965). I made $1.65/hour and worked through the summer and bought my school clothes with the money I made. I remember some Saturday mornings going to the Emporium with my mother. It was a huge sale going on and we waited outside the doors until it was time to open the store. Once the store opened, there was an avalanche of people pushing and running to the bargain basement sales. I also remember the blind lady out front. She had a german Shepard dog with her, wore dark glasses and held a tin cup. She was there every time we went to the Emporium during the 1960's. I moved away from San Francisco in 1971, but one of the times I returned and went downtown in 1988, there was the same blind lady at the same spot in front of the Emporium. I couldn't believe it.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.