Lawton School

12/17/04 - posted by sjm - stgmng22<at>aol.com

I attended Lawton School in the late 50s and early 60s. I was in Mrs. Lorraine Doroughty's kindergarten class and on my first day I had the mumps. Mrs. Doroughty had her son draw this fantastic colored chalknursery rhyme mural on the front black board. We were not allowed to touch it. I remember the coat room and the little sink and the little picture that was on "your" chair that matched a place card that indicated whether you had milk with your graham cracker or not. She had this little figurine, Snow White I think, that she would hide (all of the students left the room when she hid it)and when we came back in we would search for it. I loved that game. I adored that class and Mrs. Doroughty. Mrs. Jane Winchell was the school secretary and Mrs. Margaret McCullough was the principal. My sister Gayle was 5 years older than I and much to my disadvantage, much smarter than I as well. I had the teachers that loved her and thought she walked on water. My 6th grade teachr, Mrs. Edith Rush even called me Gayle. I really hated that. Also one of my very very favorite teachers was Mrs. Hattie Kilborne. She was a teacher who was strict but she and I shared the love of art. We did the most wonderful art projects and over 40 years later I remember them all. We did mosaics out of paint chips that we cut as tiles.(Missions I think) we made wonderful zoo animal heads from shoe boxes and tissue paper, and the most special and her signature project... tinted egg shell pictures on colored metallic card board. (birds) She was fantastic. Another great thing about Lawton School was each year, in the spring, we had a folk dance festival. Each grade learned the same folk dance (but different from all of the other grades)and performed it in the huge school yard. The entire school learned the finale dance and it was just so beautiful. The girls had head bands of flowers with streamers and the boys had arm bands i think. The tune is still something I remember. I also remember that they had traffic boys and service girls. The service girls were 4th, 5th and 6th graders who accompanied the younger grades to lunch and back. It was fun. There was an orchestra, I played the violin. We went on terrific field trips to the symphony and plays came to the school. These were the days of segragation and the only African American students we had were blind students as well as the blind teacher. (That changed when I started at AP Giannini)I remember that we got our Sabin Sugar Cube there too. Lastly, but not leastly, we had the incredible bizarres once a year to raise money. The work that went into putting these on was so obvious. The games and booths of quality crafts and baked goods. I love my memories of Lawton school, probably more than my day to day life there. I would love to hear any other impressions of Lawton School.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.