06/03/11 - posted by Jo Anne Q.
Finally got around to reading the May issue of the Sunset Beacon. Supervisor Chu had an interesting article about increasing parking problems for the residents of her district. Here's the link:
http://www.sunsetbeacon.com/archives/SunsetBeacon/2011editions/May11/cityhall.html

It would appear that residents are getting rather desperate for parking spaces. I suspect part of this is because many of the single-family homes in the area are now designated as 2 family dwellings (as is my old Home Place). Oh dear...more cars and no place to park them! So, they are paving over the postage-stamp patches of lawn in front of their homes, using the space for extra parking instead; and facing horrendous daily fines for doing so.

I find this interesting because, while growing up in the 40s and 50s, some people had little lawns or shrubbery on either side of their driveway. Others did not. As the 60s rolled around, I noted more people were paving over their "agriculture." I think a lot of this had to do with the residents getting older and not wanting to deal with maintaining same. And if they parked a second car on the refurbished space, well, no big deal.

Since these lawn/shrubbery/paving areas do not block the sidewalks, I'm a little unclear about this. (The Chu article does address storm water-runoff containing pollutants from automobiles, but that happens even when cars simply travel along the streets, both back then and today.)

My family occasionally parked our car in the driveway. Google a street view of 943 Quintara St. You'll see that the car would have partially blocked the sidewalk. There was never a murmur from neighbors, much less pedestrians or City officials.

Perhaps the Parkside should alter its name to No-Park-Side?
[ Next Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.