02/14/11 - posted by Tim Dineen
Well... Wikipedia and the SF Encyclopedia specifically name the Sunset district as the Outside Lands. And while I don't recall a lot of stuff from my SF History class at Lincoln (other than some vaguely-great field trips) I don't recall the Haight being considered "Outside Lands."

"Outside Lands was the name used in the 19th century for the present-day Sunset District in San Francisco, California. With few roads and no public transportation, the area was covered by sand dunes and was considered inaccessible and uninhabitable. Today, after extensive development, the area is home to Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, and a well-developed neighborhood."

Now... if you wanted to take "Western Neighborhoods" and be inclusive with it, The Western Addition would be the logical starting point and we would soon see two-thirds of the city included.

The neighborhoods of San Francisco are very unique and all have their own fascinating history. I'm not convinced right now that adding more area would be beneficial to either area.

(And I reserve the right to change my mind!) <g>
[ First Message ] [ Next Message ] [ Previous Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.