10/14/10 - posted by Martha
Hello! I grew up in Forest Hill and lived quite close to the Dewey Market. Back then it occupied what is now about three different store fronts. In the rear of the market was a butcher counter run by Bill Bastida. There was a small produce section and aisles crowded with all kinds of products. Though not on the scale of supermarkets as we know them today, it was a full service market. There were various owners over the years, and they were a fixture in the community. There was Ben and Bea who sold it to Andy. Andy was Greek and he sold it to another Greek man (whose name escapes me). That man sold it to Jim. I don't recall last names as we were on a first name basis.

I agree that the market's location was a great spot. Did you know that a Safeway occupied Dewey Market's location in the 1930s?

On her way home from work most afternoons, my mother would stop at this market to pick up groceries. Many of the neighborhood kids got their sugar fix there. Back then, candy bars were either five or ten cents.

My brother got his first job at the store as a bagger. He didn't last long because the owner insisted he cut his hair and he refused. (What can I say? It was the sixties.)

We had a family pet. She was a dog named Lady. Lady was a German shepherd mix. Back then, people would just let their dogs out to wander the neighborhood. Lady would make her way to the back of the market where the butcher received his meat. Since he cut all of his meat, he often had bones left over. He would give Lady wonderful bones that she would carry home in her mouth and guard greedily. One time she came home with what must have been a cow's femur. I don't know how, but she managed to carry that bone home in her mouth. It was not only huge, but heavy. I'm sure it was Bill the butcher's idea of a joke.

History truly does repeat itself. My mother grew up in Forest Hill. Our family home was built in 1926. It was a custom home that my grandmother ordered. Her sister also had a custom home built in the tract at about the same time. Both homes were of a colonial style. My great aunt's home recently sold for about three million dollars, but I digress. When my mother was young, she too had a pet dog named Jiggs. Jiggs was a terrier mix and like Lady, he would also go down to the market and get bones to bring home.

Due to its location, the store had been robbed a few times. I remember one particularly enterprising way one robber got into the store after hours. Next to Dewey Market was a dry cleaners. The robber broke into the dry cleaners and broke a hole in the wall which separated the two businesses.

I suppose I should end my narrative. I hope this gives you what you were looking for. Bye for now.
[ First Message ] [ Next Message ] [ Previous Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.