Re: Captain Fortune, Skipper Sedley and other fifties SF TV

03/23/10 - posted by Steve

In those days I had the pleasure of being on two of these shows, and participating in a small way in a third.

I was in the audience of King Norman once, then very briefly in the actual show. This was only to show them our dog Gretchen and the tricks she could do. Gretchen did one or two things but then decided she did not want to be there and left.

In the fourth grade I was on Mayor Art. That was more fun, and it was interesting to see how skilled he was at keeping a group of kids happy under hot lights and in the midst of all the activity. He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. He wore an old-fashioned outfit complete with a frock coat and "spats" on his shoes. I have no recollection of what we did, except that all the kids were required to select and wear a hat from a collection he had. The one I chose was too big and slipped down over my eyes several times, to the amusement of my friends who were watching.

There was another show on Channel 2, which someone will remember. It included episodes of the Three Stooges. During intermissions on this show there was a sort of contest, done over the phone, in which kids picked one of maybe three doors, some of which had prizes behind them. The deal was that one could keep trying as long as one wanted, but could lose all prizes by choosing the one wrong door. I was called once and won a small prize.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.