Re: Captain Fortune, Skipper Sedley and other fifties SF TV

03/21/10 - posted by Mary-Ann

I brought my kids in from San Rafael to the Mayor Art Show around 1964 or 1965. I think the oldest was about eight and the youngest, maybe three with two others in between. The oldest was the only one to be a part of the TV show and won a camera for answering a question - other kids won prizes, too. In fact all the children who were in the studio including the ones assigned to the sidelines with the parents went home with some kind of toy or prize. It was a fun experience for all, but the three younger ones were a little disppointed to not be on TV.

They also watched many of the shows mentioned here, as well as Captain Kangaroo & others made outside of San Francisco. My two younger brothers watched Winky Dink and Howdy Doody, Crusader Rabbit and Rocky Raccoon. And my youngest brother knew all the words to all the verses of the 'Ballad of Davy Crockett' - and would sing them all for you whenever he got the chance as we rudely yelled at him to "STOOOOOPPPPPP"!

My favorite remains Kukla, Fran & Ollie - and I wasn't even a kid anymore when they were on.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.