07/11/09 - posted by Jo Anne Q.
I send belated salutes to Mr. Mehdy (though I never knew him or his store), and also to the guys who owned Reis' Pharmacy on 18th and Taraval. They put up with a lot of St. Cecilia's kids wandering in just to sneak peeks at the latest comic books on the rack at the back of the store; and also me and my best friend hiding in that same area to put on lipstick, which we wore until we reached her house and then scrubbed off again so our Mom's wouldn't see it!
jb - had NO idea you were a pharmacist! Kudos to you! I have a friend who was a head pharmacist for a chain in Santa Rosa. Over the years, she grew more and more despondent about how the profession is treated, and has moved on to become a teacher of pharmacology.
I agree that Big Corp and Big Pharma have just about wiped out the "friendly neighborhood druggist." I go to Wal-Mart (because I have limited funds), and I can see how defeated and weary-looking those employees are. I know darned well that, in their case, "volume" has replaced "quality care" and there's nothing they can do about it.
[ First Message ] [ Next Message ] [ Previous Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.