Empire Cinema (CinéArts)

(formally the Portal Theatre)

Location: 85 West Portal Avenue, San Francisco, CA

Opened: December 26, 1925

Although no architecturally significant structures have been designated on West Portal Avenue, the movie theater has been a fixture since it opened as the "Portal Theatre" on December 26, 1925. Local architect Irving Morrow (of Morrow & Garren) originally designed a more open entry courtyard for the theatre and business block, but much of his 1923 plan, including a Moorish style was carried out.

Renamed and re-opened on October 1, 1936 as the "Empire," it had its single screen split into three in 1974. In the twenty-first century it has been promoted as "CinéArts at the Empire."

Portal Theatre, later named the Empire, at 85 West Portal Avenue in 1925., Dec 1925 - San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library

Empire Cinema, formerly the Portal and later CineArts, at 85 West Portal Avenue in 1966., Jun 1966 - Courtesy of Jack Tillmany

Rendering by architect Irving Morrow for West Portal theater and shops at Vicente Street, 1923., Jun 21, 2001 - Irving F. and Gertrude Comfort Morrow Collection, Environmental Design Archives, UC Berkeley

The West Portal History Walk
<<< Previous stop --- Next stop >>>


Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!

Page launched 22 January 2002

On the Map (click marker for larger map)
 
Related Content
  • Farms, Fire and Forest

    Sutro's ownership of the old Rancho San Miguel ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Fernando Nelson

    Builder of West Portal, Parkway Terrace, and Merced Manor ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Streetwise: Forest Hill

    Architect David Coleman designed the first completed home in Forest Hill at 266 Pacheco Street. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • 100 Stonecrest Drive

    Henry Stoneson built this house in Lakeside for his own use. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Duncan McDuffie

    A first-person account of the building of St. Francis Wood from one of the partners of the real estate firm of Mason-McDuffie. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • St. Francis Wood Pamphlet

    Mason-McDuffie and Baldwin & Howell issued a small booklet promoting the St. Francis Wood development in November 1912. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • A Short History of West of Twin Peaks

    Residence parks and other neighborhoods in San Francisco's West of Twin Peaks area. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Madie Brown

    An ardent nature lover, she was the one who organized a citywide preservation effort to make Mt. Davidson a public park. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Homewood Terrace Orphanage

    Jewish orphanage that faced Ocean Avenue from 1921 to 1960s ( Sep 2, 2007)
  • Sherwood Forest

    A tiny neighborhood on the side of Mount Davidson. ( Jan 4, 2008)

Save SF History