Ocean Avenue firehouse


On the Map (click for larger map)

"ON WAY OUT - A relic of days gone by, this firehouse at San Jose and Ocean Aves. will soon be abandoned. It was under construction at the time of the 1906 earthquake." - San Francisco Examiner, August 26, 1957

Ocean Avenue Firehouse

On April 12, 1901, the City of San Francisco transferred to the Fire Department a corner of the former House of Refuge Lot at Ocean Avenue and San Jose Avenue for a new firehouse.

The station was built to serve the growing Outer Mission and Ingleside neighborhoods, and did so for fifty years before being replaced by new station #15 at Ocean and Phelan Avenues.

The San Francisco Examiner noted the passing of the old station in 1957 as a "relic of days gone by" and reported it was under construction during the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. Today, the firehouse site is a small empty area behind the backstop of a Balboa Park baseball diamond.

Thanks to Mark Adams for getting the photo from eBay and allowing us to republish it here.


Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!

Page launched 17 June 2008