Re: Anyone Rember Barts and Leaguers?

09/01/05 - posted by Candis Smyk Hurlbut

Goodness, another long buried memory dug up! You guys are helping me delay Alzeimers for at least another week! Wearing all black was frowned upon by many mothers back then. If a girl appeared dressed completely in black, she was accused of being a Bart. Teachers would ask, "Whose funeral?" There was one girl, Darlene, about four years younger than I, who wasn't allowed to wear anything black at all, ever--not even a pair of shoes, not a sweater or jacket, certainly not a dress, and even a small amount of black in a pattern was usually banned. ("Black is for old ladies," Darlene's mother insisted.) This rule, among a few equally ridiculous other restrictions, resulted in a rather rebellious kid. Personally, I don't think the lady wanted to fact the fact her little girl was growing up, and she wanted Darlene to look childish, not like a teenager. (Darlene, if you're out there, I hope life improved for you after you moved in with your father, away from your weird mother, whom I secretly disliked.). These days, very little girls wear all manner of black clothes--not just velvet jumpers. Darlene's mother must really freak out if she has granddaughters routinely wearing black. I remember the SI guys in their sort of uniform nonuniforms. One day was a day off for them, but not for public school students. I boarded a 28 bus on 19 Avenue that afternoon; the back was loaded with very drunken SI students returning home from some long party. I wondered: Was it worse to be in trouble at home or at school? (Some of the Jesuits were being discussed; the myth that Catholic schools produced polite, respectful, clean mouthed students dissolved that day for anyone on that bus. How could Father _________ be both a #%*@~, a %^&+, and a &$=## all at the same time?) Some adult on the bus must have called SI the next day--those who managed to fool their parents that night were busted the next day when Father ________ lived up to some, or all, of his above reputation and called each parent after dealing with the group at school. Ah, the memories...I usually wore a plaid or solid wool skirt with a solid pullover sweater or solid shirt. It took the hippie/psychedelic revolution to relegate the respectable appearance to The Preppie Handbook for several years.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.