Lived in a post earthquake cottage 1952

03/03/18 - posted by Katherine Patterson Grover - Katherine.grover<at>gmail.com

My parents were married in San Francisco, California in January 1952. My mother, Elaine Patricia O'Connor, was born in San Francisco in April 1930. She studied at San Francisco State and earned a elementary teaching credential when she was 20 years old. She taught for her first year at Visitacion Valley school in San Francisco. She continued her teaching career in the Belmont School district to approximately 2002 and then needed to retire. They called her an "icon". This puzzled her and I explained that it was a good thing. My father, Robert Doulas Patterson, was born in New York City in 1928. He returned from serving in the Marines, stationed in Korea at the end of 1951. He had nothing but the clothes on his back and his military issued blanket. He was able to get a job at the southern Pacific Railroad here in San Francisco. I believe he was a Conductor. His father had been a undercover detective in the New York Central Railroad in New York City. He and my mom had been engaged on a previous leave from the military. They married and lived in a small cottage behind a home on 19 th Avenue Sas Francisco.(address unknown) I, Katherine Ellen Patterson Grover, was born in October of 1952 in San Francisco, and was brought home to this cottage. My mother told my father it was too cold to live there with a new baby. There was a wall heater in the living room only. Within a few months, they were able to purchase a home in the new community of Sterling Downs, 406 Cornish Way in Belmont, California.Just a San Francisco story.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.