Re: Stonestown Update

01/07/18 - posted by Tim Dineen

Buh-Bye...

Once upon a time, there were scores of department stores throughout not only San Francisco, but every city in the USofA. There was variety - there were options. Chains started buying chains, everyone needed "market share" and pretty soon, we were left with a couple of brands - mostly owned by Federated Department Stores - saturating the marketplace. There are close to 30 different stores that were folded into the Macy's name, alone.

I stopped shopping at Macy's the year they opened on Thanksgiving, saying their employees had all volunteered to work. My niece was working for Macy's at the time and did NOT volunteer - she was scheduled and told to be there. I cut up my card and mailed it to the corporate offices - in Cincinnati - with a letter explaining my dissatisfaction. I never did hear back from them.

I live 2 miles from the King of Prussia Mall - the largest mall in the USofA - and haven't been near it in 10+ years. The last time I was there, I just wanted to buy a suitcase. We were off on some adventure and I needed a new bag. We started off at Macy's where the cheapest small bag was the equivalent of the GNP of a small country.

We headed over to Penney's where I spent a lot of time just trying to find find a salesperson, only to be told the person who sold suitcases would be in later - really, I had it in my hand - and with an incredulous look, I dropped the bag and walked out.

Brick and mortar stores caused their own demise. It's been Amazon Prime and small local stores ever since.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.