1967 and the Summer of Love

08/01/17 - posted by Tim Dineen - tdineen<at>timandvictor.com

As with the majority of the folks reminiscing in the latest issue of Outside Lands Magazine - the Summer of '67 was just another summer - albeit with a bit more to do in the City.

I was heading to Lincoln in the fall, working for Blum's downtown, and drinking my share of Red Mountain wine and smoking cheap pot, but we were definitely not "hippies" and other than heading over to Haight Street for a poster or to gawk at the weirdos, that whole 'movement' was out of my realm.

As Ann Wilderson stated, it was just part of our lives at the time.

I took advantage of all the free music, smoked peyote at a concert in the Park, and still didn't get the concept of Scott McKenzie singing "be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."

Looking back, I was remarkably conservative.

The one memory that hit me the most from the article was the "OUT NOW!" button. I wore that button on an army jacket to Navy boot camp in 1971 San Diego. NOT one of the smartest things I have ever done in my life. The other was admitting on one of many forms that I had smoked pot. [As if there was a kid in 1971 who could say they hadn't!] I was immediately branded and went through additional boot camp hell.

No... not my smartest moment... However, it was a learning experience.

20/20 hindsight being what it is, it really was a great time to be young in San Francisco. Rumor has it I had a great time.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.