Re: Remembering Paul Rosenberg

07/05/17 - posted by candis smyk hurlbut

I am still in a disbelieving state of shock that Paul is no longer with us. Altho he was experiencing health problems, I had no idea how serious/close to the end he was. The always funny, delightful man I knew for so many years (since 1959) can't possibly be gone!

I was looking forward to another Lowell reunion next year. Now, I will have to wait a bit longer. The in person conversations will be no more in this life.

There are increasingly more incomplete conversations far too much these days. Once again, I am reminded how it is beyond important to keep in touch, to let people know how much we care. (I still am so glad I took the time to visit Karen Salisbury Bosso when I was last in The City.)

I associate some music with some of our familiar individuals as I reflect upon their memories since they departed us:

My sister, Cynthia Smyk: The Lark Ascending (Ralph Vaughn Williams), finally joyfully rising above!

Karyn Bossso-Salisbury: The Swan (Jean Sibelius), slowly drifting down a stream into fog...

Paul Rosenburg: The Unanswered Question (Charles Ives), expressing the inability to communicate the customary way.

I am reminded of Lillian Hellman's description of "Pentimento" as I think backward and forward.

The world is lessened by your departure, Paul. Enjoy your new existence. Here, at least, you are never forgotten. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, your memories, your delightful personality.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.