Re: Great Highway Drag racing

03/28/18 - posted by Bladereap3r

...I remember Brotherhood Way (we called it) and the Great Highway at the beach. At the north end of the Great Way was a parking section for Lovers Lane folks. We took it over (any and all street racers) on Friday and Saturday nights and its alter-ego title was "The Pits" and it was Run What You Brung! Some fellas left without their car and pink slip and for others it was all about $$$ and how bad (fast) you thought your hotrod was. The Mission District area street racers usually met @Mel's Drive In (The original 1st one...the one on 140 South Van Ness). (The Mel's Drive in also featured in 'American Graffiti the movie'). Any ways Mel's was always packed with hotrods of every flavor old and new. It was our local hang out at least for me from 1962 to 1965 there after I enlisted is US Army and was lost to the Vietnam War and the service for 3yrs . After my service time I bought a special order '68 Camaro Z28 302 4spd 4:88 Positraction 12 bolt Diff. Yanked the motor for a professional full head and block 'Blueprint. It was my combo street and weekend drag car just throw on my set of Casler Cheater Slicks for the rear ready to roll. Sanctioned to run a few times in E/Stock NHRA Fremont Drag Strip more than not I'd be @ The Pits or bounce to Brotherhood Way to settle disputes on who's was the quicker car. Defo some gr8 times and friends.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.