Re: Did You Have an After School Job?

02/10/08 - posted by Frank Dunnigan

In the 1960s, S.I. officially discouraged after-school jobs so that students would have time for sports, band, yearbook, etc. Among my friends who did work after school, there seemed to be 3 categories of jobs: casual, semi-real, and real. Casual jobs were things like dipping frozen bananas into chocolate sauce (in the '60s, there was a processing plant somewhere in the Sunset that did this), but most people didn't stay with it for more than a month or so at the most. It was a "buy new tires"/"pay for the prom" type of a job. Semi-real jobs were things like driving a VW Bug and delivering for a neighborhood pharmacy (Wakelee's on Clement Street comes to mind). Students who had a job like this often held it all through high school. Real jobs were those in which you might have self-supporting adults as co-workers. These included bank, department store, and grocery store jobs. In the early '70s, Bank of America's Travelers Cheque Department at #1 Powell Street (a highly seasonal summer business in those days), took on dozens of USF & Santa Clara students for summer jobs, while an S.I. face or two could always be spotted at the old Grand Central Market (now Mollie Stone's) on California Street.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.