Re: Did You Have an After School Job?

02/26/09 - posted by Sitton

I've been thinking of this question of after school jobs, and while I am remembering the answer thought I would get it down.

My first paying job, other than allowance, was correcting spelling papers for my next door neighbor who was a first grade teacher. I don't know which school she worked at. I was in the third grade when she hired me. Wow, my own money!

There were a lot of families and kids on my block. I was still in elementary when I started babysitting for the neighbor on the other side. I played with their little boys on the weekends, and then got to babysit. The parents, Stanly and Carol, knew that if there was a problem my mother was right next door. I think it was usually just the younger boy, David. He would sleep and I remember watching Hoppilong Cassidy movies. I loved anything with horses. And I guess cowboys. I acquired quite a few horse miniatures with my hard earned money, and I also jumped at the chance to get a set of Lone Ranger cap pistols. I was disturbed when my cap guns got delivered to the next block, but the neighbor gave us a call and I got my guns. Unfortunately they were out of the metal and my bullets were wood, painted silver.

I did a lot of babysitting. I later had a regular across the
street. I was not to look in on the little boy. My job was only to haul him out if the house caught on fire. They always left me something to eat out of the frig, and they had a very nice TV.

I don't remember which magazine I read it in, but I tried selling all occasion cards at a young age. I felt it was a lot of trouble for very little profit.

I had a friend in high school who really felt she needed to work. Mel's, on Geary needed more bodies to work, and she got me on. If it wasn't our break, we were always doing something. Last time I looked, Mel's was still in business.
Mel's was a drive up. People came up to the window and placed their order. I remember making shakes and keeping the machine clean and filled, and taking money and running the cash register, and wiping everything any time there were no customers. Sometimes Mel's needed help in a big hurry, and one of the bosses would actually come out to the Sunset and pick us up!

I remember my brother had a paper route. I think it was the McCall. I especially remember him sorting out all the bills after he collected from his route.
Later he got a job of Geary Street working as a busboy for a Chinese Restaurant. I think he was the only red head working there. One of his perks was a meal. I remember us going out to eat there.

In college I did house cleaning, and for a short time I tried selling magazines over the phone in a room with several other sellers and a manager listening to what we said. I quite after I found myself trying to hard sell a nice sounding lady who told me she was going blind.

I'm trying to remember the restaurant I worked at downtown.
It was a high class hamburger place near the car dealers.
Nice place. Funny name. Could it have been Bimbo's?

One summer I worked at Bechtel on the Fallout Shelter research. A lot of us were the offspring parents who worked at Bechtel. I remember the highlight of that job was getting to be included in going to a Greek wedding of one of the engineers or bosses. I'm thinking he was a boss.

My brother worked for a couple of years in the engineering department at Bechtel after he got his AA at City.

Thinking back, I think I was forced to finish college because every time I tried to get a permanent job and quite, the personnel department interviewer would not believe me.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.