Re: Did You Have an After School Job?

02/11/08 - posted by Paul Rosenberg

JB, did you ever enjoy the counter at the Palm Garden on Market Street? I discovered it by meeting a fellow named Ed Ivory during the Moscone for Mayor campaign that was headquartered at 55 Mint Street, near the back entrance to the Palm Garden. Ed was the president of the Palm Garden Democratic Club, and organization whose meetings were as structured as the monthly WNP get togethers at the Cliff House. The joint had ordinary food, cheep booze, and what a mix of patrons!

Also, I enjoy your musings as much as the others and look forward to your next installment.

Back to after school jobs, I was a Shopping News carrier, the easiest of all paper routes: Wednesday after school and Saturday mornings, every doorstep, no collections, $2.10 per week. I still can do the 'Shopping News fold". Another job I had was making schedules for Muni operators. In those days, operators had a 'paddle' which had the departure times from the terminals and 'running time sheets' that had the number of minutes between the time points on the route with the times changing every few hours. Any operator caught two minutes early at any of the time points could be given a day off without pay in those benighted days before the employee organizations had any clout. Some of the operators were math deficient so I would make schedules, paste them on cardboard, cover with cellophane tape, and sell them for fifty cents each. One of my friends and I would hang out at the Kirkland barn at Powell and Beach (still there) at the sign up time and take orders. This job lasted us through high school and came after we had been written up in the Chronicle (August 29, 1959) for counterfeiting Muni transfers.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.