Re: 'On The Road'

02/02/08 - posted by Mary-Ann

Now I see why Paul R.'s reference to "coffee houses" in the Koenig's Lumber postings triggered an immediate link to the "Beat Generation". Val and others mention them here. The two terms seemed to go together. Reading over these musings sure makes one appreciate j b's way of putting his recollections together.

Interesting what thoughts come to mind when certain words from the past suddenly appear. I started to wonder what were the differences between the hippies, the beats and the other free spirits who rose during the '50s, '60s and later. Seems the beats were earliest. When did the Hell's Angels come on the scene. By the early '60s I was over thirty and 'not to be trusted'. Didn't bother me too much as I had my hands full with kids and juggling the income to pay the bills - too busy to pay attention, I guess.

One of my favorite books telling of those times was written by George R. R. Martin - and I just hit a mental block on the title and I hope someone can help me out with that. I'm mentioning it because the book helped me reach a kind of understanding of that time from a member of that generation.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.