Re: 48th avenue ice rink

12/12/10 - posted by Tim Miller

Hugh Hendrickson was my dad. My mother is Polly and I have a brother named Scott. The only memories I have are the pictures and stories my mom tells me. She lives 4 doors up the street from me in Riverside California. This story has a happy ending - though it won't take the place of my dad, it comes pretty close.

Around the time of my dad's death, there was a young medical intern living across the street from my mom who knew of the story. His name was John Miller and he was doing his residency up in San Francisco. He had a brother who recently got out of the Navy and was living down in Riverside, California. His name was Jim Miller. He eventually flew his plane up to SF and asked my mom out on a date. They fell in love (mostly because he loved my brother and me), got married and moved us down to Riverside where I've lived ever since. I'm now 54 years old. My dad has always been Jim Miller. He's now 86 with failing health - though gets teary every time he talks about how he met my mom. That was the happiest day of his life as he tell us. They are just about to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary the end of this month.

My brother Scott retired young (a lawyer for a dot com company) and now splits time between Hawaii and Sun Valley Idaho. He married and had 4 kids (all going to UCLA). He met his wife while he attended UCLA - all 6 going to that school. He and I see each other often.

I have a fleet safety company I started 5 years ago. I married my High School sweetheart and have been married for 27 years. We have 3 kids with one graduating from CU Boulder, one a Junior Nursing major at UCLA and my son who is a Senior in High School and almost done with getting his private pilots license. He wants to be a pilot.

So...Sorry to bore you with the details, but I've heard many wonderful stories about my dad and if any wish to share others, please feel free to email me back. tim.miller@ndap.com

What's interesting is my wife's dad died when she was 12. She and I often talk about how it would have been nice to have them in our lives as we've gotten older and how they would have been friends.

Take care,
Tim Miller

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.