Richmond Banner, Friday, March 19, 1920

Masthead for Richmond Banner, 1919, 1919 -

Note that these are excerpts of interest from this neighborhood newspaper, not the entire contents.


Star of the Sea parish Monsignor Philip O'Ryan passed away in March 1920. - Richmond Banner, March 19, 1920

Monsignor Philip O'Ryan is Called

There is sorrow today among the members of the Star of the Sea Church. The loved pastor has left them to take his place in the heavenly church above.

Rev. Philip O'Ryan was one of the best known and most popular leaders in the churches of this city, and he was loved by all the members and by those outside the church who had dealings with him. He was liberal in his administration of church affairs and was ever ready to give relief to those in distress without consideration of religious beliefs.

Rev. Philip O'Ryan was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, fifty-one years ago. He was educated in the schools of the old country and studied at Thurles College for Holy Orders. He was ordained for the priesthood June 18, 1893, and the same year came to America and entered the Catholic University at Washington, where the degree of S.T.L was conferred upon him in 1895.

Upon his arrival in San Francisco in the summer of 1895 he was appointed assistant to St. Mary's Cathedral under the Rev. John J. Prendergast, pastor.

In 1896 he was made associate editor ot the "Monitor," the official organ of the Catholic Diocese of San Francisco, and assisted the Rev. Peter C. Yorke, who was the editor at that time.

From 1896 until the time of the fire in 1906 Monsignor O'Ryan was chaplain of the League of the Cross and its remarkable growth and prosperity during that time was due to his enthusiasm.

The death of the Rev. John Coyle, pastor of the Star of the Sea Church on March 3, 1908, left the vacancy to which Father O'Ryan was appointed. Since that time he has labored unceasingly for the advancement of the church and parish. the beautiful school buildings adjoining the church were built under his direction and placed in charge of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The residence occupied by the Sisters who teach in the parish was completed the following year.

For several months Father O'Ryan had not been strong, having not regained his strength following an attack of the influenza. On Christmas day, contrary to the advice of his physicians, he left the sick bed to go about his work in the church and in so doing contracted pneumonia. He could not bear the thought of remaining away from his church. He attended six masses Christmas morning. In spite of the exhaustion this devotion to his duty brought on, Father O'Ryan rose again on January 4 and went to the St. Mary's Cathedral, where Archbishop Hanna conferred the title of Monsignor upon him.


Claussen's Cleaning at 133 Clement Street. - Richmond Banner, March 19, 1920

Coat Stolen

While a representative of the Banner was down town Tuesday, someone unknown to us, who was evidently suffering from the cold, appropriated an overcoat that had been left in the automobile. It was not a new coat, but it was good protection from the cold and we needed it. We do not unwillingly make the donation to the unknown individual, but we hope it will be useful to him and that he will appreciate and carefully care for it. We would advise him not to leave it in his eight-cylinder car when he stops to make a business call, for someone might steal it from him.

Children's Hearts Broken Over Loss of Pet

Jack and Isabella Breen of 543 Twelfth avenue mourned the death of their pet raccoon, done away with by an "irate neighbor".

Local News

The Park-Presidio Merchants Association met Tuesday evening decided to send a letter to the park commissioners asking for a "convenience station" to be installed in Mountain Lake park near the new tennis court that is being prepared.


A number of talented pupils from May Floud's dancing academy have appeared at the Coliseum Theater in "dainty singing and dancing numbers" during the past month.


Joseph R. Bleily, a pioneer resident of the district, has established in business at 5003 California street. Mr. Bliely is a barber of long experience in this city. He has designated his new shop as the Marine Barber Shop. When Mr. Bliely came to this district his home was the only house west of Fourth avenue. The location of his present shop was then a wilderness of sandhills. He has seen the district change from a sand desert to the finest home section in the city.


Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places.

Page launched 23 February 2008

 
Related Content

Save SF History