Thousands of volunteers came from all over the country to train at the Presidio of San Francisco during the Spanish-American War in 1898. These troops spilled into the Richmond District on land owned by the Crocker Estate Company, which offered up the area between today's Geary Boulevard, Fulton Street, Arguello Street and Sixth Avenue for what came to be known as Camp Merritt.
In honor of Veterans' Day, come see rare photographs as Amanda Williford, Curator at the Park Archives and Records Center in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA), and Nicole Meldahl discuss the history of this Outside Lands Army encampment, as well as WNP's recent collaboration with the GGNRA on OpenSFHistory.
Special thanks to the Office of Economic and Workforce Development for its support of this Richmond District program. Admission is $20 for the general public, and $10 for WNP members. Light snacks and drinks provided.
map to: Western Neighborhoods Project 1617 Balboa Street
Contact: Nicole Meldahl email@example.com
Outlook/iCal - Google Calendar