Car 215 at Sixth Avenue, south of Clement street in 1948. ("Lincoln Bowl" had served the Richmond district as the Lincoln movie theater until 1939.)
Service begun: Service began as a new line designated No. 4 on June 16, 1935. The original No. 4 Turk and Eddy was discontinued (except for Owl service) in 1932 with the opening of the Market Street Railway's No. 31 line.
Route: From Sutter and Sansome Streets (after January 1939 from the Transbay Terminal) to Sixth Avenue and Fulton Street via Market, Sutter, Fillmore, Sacramento, Arguello, Lake, Sixth Avenue, Clement, Eighth Avenue, Fulton to Sixth.
Walter Rice from Friends of the Cable Car Museum points out that the No. 4 Sutter & Sacramento was the only Market Street Railway line (and from September 1944 the only Muni line) that ran on Market Street but never ran to the Ferries. (The one exception being the No. 23 across the short strip of Market between Valencia and Gough.) Thanks Walter!
Rail service end: July 31, 1948 (replaced by motor coaches)
More from Walter Rice on the #4 line: "[The route was] later discontinued with the part west of Fillmore incorporated into an extended No. 55 bus that in turn became part of the restructured No. 1 trolley bus line in the 1980s. Service on Sacramento west of Steiner shifted to California. The No. 4 number was used from the early 1950s for a rush-hour-only trolley coach service from Sutter & Sansome to Presidio Avenue. This became a 12-hour-a-day line in the 1980s with the combining of the Nos. 1 & 55 lines. The new No. 4 runs from 6th & California to Sutter & Sansome."
Images: Courtesy of the collection of Jack Tillmany
Sources: Walter Rice, Jack Tillmany; John Coll; The People's Railway, Anthony Perles, Interurban Press, 1981; Inside MUNI, John McKane and Anthony Perles, Interurban Press, 1982.
Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places.!
Page launched 22 May 2002; Updated 5 June 2002, 22 April 2011.